Username:

Password:

Remember me

[ ]
[ ]
Random Product
MIKUNI SBN 38/44MM CARB KIT
Price: 48.95
Genuine Mikuni SBN 38mm and 44mm Carb rebuild kit. These are the kits I use...[ More ]
Search JetSkiMechanic
Our Sponsors Left
Link to us
Link to us
Guests: 13
Members: 0
On this page: 1
Members: 7850, Newest: cb2ajyfrpe
Last seen
Bookmark us

RSS Feeds
Our news can be syndicated by using these rss feeds.
rss1.0
rss2.0
rdf
Troop Support
USA is #1
We Support our Troops!

Find Jetskimechanic.com Coupons on BeFrugal.com
Forums
JetSkiMechanic :: Forums :: Manufactures :: Kawasaki

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
1998 Kawasaki 750 STX Complete Rebuild
Moderators: admin, Jetskimechanic, cprman, TheGun
Author Post
Magnus838
Tue Feb 07 2012, 04:47PM
Registered Member #799
Hi everyone. I'm new to this site after reading about Robert's expertise on a couple other PWC sites. I'm sure you will all be able to give me some great advice with my STX questions.

Our Jet Ski left us sit the end of last season, after 8 flawless seasons. The oil injection pump gave out and the rings on the one cylinder seized. I plan to install an oil block off plate after reading the article in the Tech Corner so this doesn't happen again. Unfortunately, the crankshaft also seized up so it will have to be a complete rebuild. We have too much fun jet skiing with the family during the warm months to not have a working PWC. Instead of buying another I decided that it would be a good winter project.

I have the engine removed from the hull and have it completely disassembled on my work bench (I had a local shop remove the flywheel for me). I now need some recommendations /advice on what parts to use for my rebuild project. OEM or aftermarket? Any tricks, hints, or how-to would be greatly appreciated with this project. Although I don't have much experience with major PWC repair, I'm confident that I can get my Kawasaki running like new again. Looking forward to learning everything I can about PWC repair. Thanks for all your help in advance.
Jetskimechanic
Tue Feb 14 2012, 05:34AM
Head Mechanic

Registered Member #3
Thanks! Sorry for the delay! Have had a few real busy days!! So all I can say is to read that manual and ask questions... As to parts I use WSM and OEM. Just depends on what your looking for!! I can get all the parts for you as well! Just get me a list and I can price the parts for you... Also I can help you along the way! Read the info in the Tech Corner! good info there!!!

Thanks,

Robert Sand
RS Racing Engines

Robert©Jetskimechanic.com

MotoCrossMecha nic.com
661- 755-1219
Magnus838
Tue Feb 14 2012, 10:13AM
Registered Member #799
Thanks Robert! I have also been very busy this last week. I have both of the repair manuals that Kawasaki makes for my jet ski. These manuals have been helpful so far. I am currently working on a complete parts list that I will need for the rebuild and will send it to you when its completed.

I have already read all the articles in the Tech Corner, and found them very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post each of them.

I see that many of your members are modifying their PWC for higher performance. Although I find that interesting I really just want to get our jet ski running great again. I guess you could say I really want a rock solid dependable jet ski at the end of this project. So I don't necessarily need all the high performance parts that some might need. However, please give me your advice along the way if there is some higher performance parts that would benefit my situation. I certainly wouldn't mind having a jet ski that is faster than it was from the factory:)

Does anyone make an aftermarket crankshaft for my jet ski or is OEM the only option? I did see on your website that you sell the Wiseco piston kits. Would they be better than the WSM piston kits? I see they are more expensive. Thanks again for your help!
Jetskimechanic
Thu Feb 16 2012, 06:44AM
Head Mechanic

Registered Member #3
Not a problem! When you have the list email me and I will get you the best prices! I would use the WSM piston in your case! I use the Wiseco piston when I'm building a high performance motor! A few bolt on's will wake that motor up and at the same time the reliability will be there!! I have always built motors that last!! even the full blown mods!! It's all about know what works and what doesnt!! I spent 1000's of hours testing so let me help you all out!!! talk soon!!! Thanks!

Thanks,

Robert Sand
RS Racing Engines

MotoCrossMecha nic.com
661- 755-1219
Magnus838
Thu Feb 16 2012, 05:27PM
Registered Member #799
I appreciate the help you are giving me so far. About the pistons...I don't mind spending some extra money if the Wiseco pistons are better. Is there a reason, other than price, that the Wiseco pistons wouldn't be good for my engine rebuild? I have been doing a bunch of reading on the forged vs. cast debate. Just trying to learn as much as I can:)

Any other options, other than OEM, for my crankshaft? I did notice you rebuild crankshafts; however, I ruined the threads on the impeller end while disassembling the motor.

[ Edited Thu Feb 16 2012, 08:17PM ]
Jetskimechanic
Fri Feb 17 2012, 05:27AM
Head Mechanic

Registered Member #3
If you want the best then the wisecos are them. Forged is a stronger piston. But they expand more so you have to know the set up when boring the new pistons to the cylinder... I can do that for you... Yes we do crankshafts!! I can get you a Hot Rods crankshaft but if we can rebuild your crankshaft with good quality race parts that crankshaft will be awesome! Let me know! I'm here to help get the work done as well... The rear journal threads were damaged?? we might have a spare one...

Thanks,

Robert Sand
RS Racing Engines

MotoCrossMecha nic.com
661- 755-1219
Magnus838
Mon Feb 27 2012, 02:20PM
Registered Member #799
Sorry for the delay, I have been out of town on business for the last week. What do you recommend for cleaning up the crankcase and other parts that I will reuse for the rebuild? What about a bead blaster? I wasn't sure if there are surfaces that should be avoided.

What bolt on parts did you have in mind to wake my engine up? Thanks again, I'm getting close to having that list together.
TheGun
Sun Mar 18 2012, 06:43AM

Registered Member #903
Avoid bead blasting any machined surfaces. Powder blast is the best without being too aggressive. Most aviation repairers use a powder blast method which is basically Talcom Powder and Chalk.

Even the, you are best to bolt the crank cases together to protect the two mating faces. These are the most critical as there is only sealant to stop leakage. The other surcafes are ok with powder blasting.

Prio r to this, a good hot wash in a solvent type parts washing machine is required as it will remove all the grease, loose paint and most corrosive deposits left behind. Plus...... Most places that do blasting will not blast anything unless the parts are dry, free of loose paint and unwanted deposits and most of all, grease free as these can contaminate the blasting powder mixture.

Rober t may have another solution, and some other chemical type ways of removing unwanted paint, corrosion and oxidation? .

There are many ways to get the same end result that all work well.

[ Edited Sun Mar 18 2012, 06:48AM ]

Go Hard....Or Go Home
JSE Australia
Throttle Benders Association Inc.
Magnus838
Mon Mar 19 2012, 01:56PM
Registered Member #799
Thanks! My common sense was telling me to avoid those machined surfaces but I thought it wouldn't hurt to check. I ended up using hot water and the Simple Green Motorsports Degreaser. Also used compressed air to dry everything thoroughly. I think they cleaned up well.

Any ideas for some bolt on parts that would wake my stock engine up?

Robert, I have my parts list together. What is the best email address that you check regularly?
Jetskimechanic
Mon Mar 19 2012, 05:39PM
Head Mechanic

Registered Member #3
I would add some after market flame arrestors, reeds stuffers, after market reeds and maybe an impeller and handling componinets! Let me know... send emails to Robert @ Jetskimechanic. com

Thanks,

Robert Sand
RS Racing Engines

MotoCrossMecha nic.com
661- 755-1219
TheGun
Tue Mar 20 2012, 02:22AM

Registered Member #903
Thats quick!!! .....

Since you have listed the obveous..... most of them anyway, you should also fit an intake grate, ride plate and sponsons.

This with the above mentioned will make it a responsive and nice ride.

Worx in Queensland, Australia have a good range of the handling components to suit at a fair price which Robert can also supply to you.

Go Hard....Or Go Home
JSE Australia
Jetskimechanic
Tue Mar 20 2012, 07:51AM
Head Mechanic

Registered Member #3
Yes we carry all after market parts from all the great manufactures!! give me an email...

Thanks,

Robert Sand
RS Racing Engines

MotoCrossMecha nic.com
661- 755-1219
Magnus838
Tue Mar 20 2012, 05:25PM
Registered Member #799
I'm working on typing up my parts list and realized I didn't figure out what gaskets to use. Is it better to use OEM or are there some great aftermarket gaskets available? When I was on Wiseco's website I happened to see that they make gasket kits for my engine. Thanks for all your help so far!
TheGun
Thu Mar 22 2012, 04:11PM

Registered Member #903
OEM gaskets are good, but expensive.
Ther e are several aftermarket gasket sets available for watercraft engines and most are as good as OEM.
Wiseco, Kometic, Pro-X and WSM are a few that are good kits.

Robert will have good kits he can supply you that will give you all the right gaskets needed for a complete engine re-build.

Ask Robert for a full kit as it will come with all the gaskets from air intake to exhaust gaskets and crankshaft seals, plus any "O" rings that may be in the engine.

Go Hard....Or Go Home
JSE Australia
Jetskimechanic
Sat Mar 24 2012, 06:10AM
Head Mechanic

Registered Member #3
I use the WSM brand gaskets and they are great!!! Trust me I wouldn't use anything that didn't stand up to my specs!!! I can sell top end kits, complete kits or single gaskets as well!!

Thanks,

Robert Sand
RS Racing Engines

MotoCrossMecha nic.com
661- 755-1219
TheGun
Sat Mar 24 2012, 08:28AM

Registered Member #903
Thats why I said "GOOD KITS" as you are the same as me.... not worth playing with junk. It hurts too much when somethin fails and it comes back to bite you.....

If I can`t find a good gasket for something, I then use Klinger gasket material. I have heaps on the shelf and their quality is very good. Plus, the factory is up the other end of the street from me that does all the gasket paper material world wide.

You may also notice what is used in WSM kits form time to time......Kling er!

Robert, What do you think of the WSM Platinum kits with teflon coated pistons????

I have used a couple of kits now and don`t seem to have any issues thus far....

Go Hard....Or Go Home
JSE Australia
Jetskimechanic
Sun Mar 25 2012, 06:59AM
Head Mechanic

Registered Member #3
They are good!!! I find that the performance coatings make for good oil lubing! The oil runs good on the surface!! I have been coating my race pistons for over 20 years and they make a differance!!! I use three different types of coatings!!! Gun coat is a good non corrosive coating for the outside of the cylinder and piston. I use thermal coat for the dome and bottom of the piston for good heat transfer!!! I also coat the transfers of the cylinder and all the other parts!!! We also performance coat the four stroke parts!!! It's cool having a customer that works for ROUSH racing and taking about what they do to the motors!!! NASCAR inspired four strokes!!! NICE!!!!

Thanks,

Robert Sand
RS Racing Engines

MotoCrossMecha nic.com
661- 755-1219

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF